The history of our church goes back to 1890 when a small band of Unitarians gathered together in fellowship, without a minister or a building. The Wilbraham Road Unitarian Church was erected in 1900 and opened for public worship on 9 February 1901. The foundation stones can still be seen at the entrance to the building.
The original church was a half-timbered design and unfortunately had to be demolished in the 1980s due to dry rot. A line drawing of the original church hangs in the present day church.
The present church building was created out of the old Sunday School building. A block of flats (Regency Court) was erected on the site of the old church on Wilbraham Road and the current church is located to the rear, with access to the right of the flats to a small car park.
The church itself is plain with clear glass windows giving views of the surrounding mature trees. The gable windows are lightly stained with flower patterns.
Above the worship leader’s lectern is a round stained glass window portraying a lotus in full bloom.
Today the building is used by a range of community groups as well as being home to Chorlton Unitarians.